Support our 2024 appeal today Find out more and donate to help young people
A grant from the Coastal Communities Fund from the Department for Levelling Up, is helping us to deliver several projects that raise the profile of Morecambe Bay and provide new attractions, events and services for local communities and visitors. The Electric Bike Network is part of this programme.
We know there is a lot of interest from locals and visitors to hire e-bikes from a previous trial. Since then, there has been a huge increase in cycling and the use of e-bikes in particular. The re-invigoration of this project now presents real opportunities to support healthy lifestyles and low carbon tourism.
The purpose of the network
This project will support local businesses around the Bay to embrace low carbon tourism and attract new customers by hiring out a fleet of e-bikes.
A great offer to your business
We're looking for a range of commercial operators to host and operate a fleet of e-bikes to hire. Your business may be a hotel, B&B, holiday park or other business. We are also interested to hear from start-ups.
The bike retail price is £2,100, but our funding allows us to offer the package for £750 per bike which is 75% discount on the total cost of the package. This fee will support the service in future years and cover any running costs of the charity.
We will ask you to enter into a 1-year lease agreement with Morecambe Bay Partnership for which you will receive:
- An agreed number of e-bikes, batteries and equipment including helmets, locks, panier racks and bags.
- Annual service provision for the bikes for the duration of the lease agreement.
- E-bike Network promotion on a brand-new cycling and walking destination website called ‘Ways Around The Bay’ supported by a comprehensive local, regional and national marketing campaign to drive more visits and longer stays in the Bay. This will include both digital as well as traditional PR, press content and promotional flyer distribution.
What your business needs to do
- Operate the hire site to maximise availability during peak season (April to September). You’ll take bookings, meet, and greet the hirer, give them basic instruction, and ascertain their suitability to hire out the bikes, keep the bikes charged as per the manufacturer’s instructions and carry out basic maintenance to ensure the bikes are kept clean, roadworthy, and available for hire.
- As this is a programme funded by the Department for Levelling Up, there are audit mechanisms in place to account for the funding & we’ll ask you to sign a Memorandum of Agreement with us.
- Provide written proof of appropriate insurance for the bikes & equipment.
- Provide secure storage & charging facilities for the bikes when not in use
- Ensure that e-bike hire is available for all who can ride a bike safely.
- Capture data on number of hires per year and provide this to Morecambe Bay Partnership at the end of the agreement.
- Meet with us after 6 months of operation, to review how things are going.
Businesses are free to determine their hire rates which are typically from £35 to £70 for a full day’s hire. At the end of the 1-year agreement, the business will take ownership of the bikes with the intention of continuing the hire offer as part of the Morecambe Bay e-bike network.
Interested? Let's talk more
If you'd like an informal chat about this opportunity, please email Richard
Download the prospectus and find out more about this great opportunityDownload the Electric Bike Network prospectus
Creating great walking and cycling experiences in Morecambe Bay
Read about the whole Ways Around The Bay programme and what we're doing until March 2024.Find out more