Shop to 'Love Morecambe Bay' here Shop
What's been happening?
We secured a Coastal Communities Fund grant from the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities in partnership with Westmorland and Furness Council for a programme of development across the Morecambe Bay region from December 2021 until March 2024.
The programme called 'Ways Around The Bay' is a suite of projects to establish the area as an attractive destination for cycling and walking, focussing on the development of active and sustainable ways to get around the Bay with more inclusive access to the countryside whatever your level of ability. We've been building on the success of previous projects such as the launch of the well-known Bay Cycle Way, extending Tramper hire locations and re-starting the development of an E-bike network.
Summary of Ways Around The Bay achievements so far (November 2023).
- A new brand for the Bay to increase awareness of the quality and breadth of the cycling, walking and accessible offer.
- A new online journey planner to help people plan their routes around Morecambe Bay, increasing visitor numbers and spend and encouraging local people to cycle and walk more. (14k unique users in first 6 months): www.waysaroundthebay.org.uk
- Creation of new cycling, walking and accessible routes supporting active travel.
- Creation of two electric bike hire points with local businesses at Arnside and Ulverston, with our hub at Grange opening soon.
- Improving access for those who cannot walk far through the provision of new Trampers, accessible routes and hire points at Grange Library and Roudsea Woods. More to be launched soon.
- A free package of practical support for tourism and hospitality businesses to increase their appeal to walkers and cyclists. Find out more here.
- Get Cycling Morecambe Bay – 1400 school children and adults engaged in activities to increase cycling confidence
- Bay Lines – Beach of Dreams: a programme of community participation events which celebrated the natural environment of the Bay, involving over 4000 locals, enjoyed by over 16,000 people and inspiring many more to discover the Bay on foot and wheels.
- Continued promotion of the Bay Cycle Way long-distance route which we developed in close partnership with Sustrans.
Do you run a tourism and hospitality business in the Bay?
Walking and cycling activity is still a growing and potentially lucrative market to tap into. It also helps to promote responsible tourism by supporting people to swap out car journeys for sustainable forms of travel.
We want to work with you to ensure we raise the profile of the Bay as a great 'active experience' destination offering a friendly welcome.
By getting involved, your business could benefit from free local, regional and national promotion of Morecambe Bay as a top walking and cycling destination and practical support.
- free participation on our new and exciting cycling and walking destination website where locals and visitors can go for all their planning needs and inspiration encouraging more visits and higher spend.
- become part of a network of E-bike hubs helping you to diversify and expand your business
- be a host for the network of Tramper hire locations giving everyone the chance to reach the countryside
- offer a range of route guides that will be attractive to your customers and help them make the most of their day out.
- improve your appeal to a wider audience, by the provision of information on local
E-Bike hire and Tramper locations.
- become a Cyclists & Walkers welcome ambassador for the Bay and receive a FREE practical support package.